Craney Family Solicitors


Craney Family Solicitors


Helping families in all areas of family law for over 10 years.

Based in the Newcastle suburb of Wallsend, Craney Family Solicitors represents clients throughout Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, Maitland, as well as the Hunter and Central Coast areas, in all aspects of family law .

Our firm practices in all family law matters, including issues about the care of the children, property settlements, and divorce.  Whether you're a parent, grandparent, de-facto partner, husband or wife, we are here to assist you through the complicated family law process in this difficult time. We bring extensive experience and professionalism to every case and customise our support to your individual needs and concerns.

We pride ourselves on giving clear and understandable legal advice whilst always trying to obtain the best outcome possible.  We are members of the Legal Aid Family Law Panel and the Legal Aid Domestic Violence Panel and happily accept both privately funded and legally aided clients.

Get in touch with us to set up a consultation, or use the contact form at the bottom of this page to enquire whether our services are right for you.




1/11 Charles Street
Wallsend NSW 2287

(02) 4951 2355


Areas of Practice

legal aid

We strongly believe everyone should have the opportunity to obtain legal assistance regardless of their financial position.  It is this guiding principle which has led Craney Family Solicitors to be members of the Legal Aid Family Law Panel since our firm was established in 2005.

It is possible to apply for legal aid for parenting and property matters, regardless of whether the other party already has a grant of legal aid.

If you have any questions regarding your eligibility for legal aid please contact our office and we will be happy to explain the application process and criteria employed by Legal Aid NSW.

recovery orders

It is extremely common for issues and disagreements to arise at the time of separation, and even after a period of separation.  When these problems occur a parent or family member will sometimes withhold a child from their primary carer.  If this happens you can make an application to the Court for a recovery order.

It is possible to apply to the Court for a recovery order and request an earlier and quicker Court date than would be normal.  Remember, it is important to act quickly if someone retains and does not return your child to your care.


When people separate or an issue arises, in most cases it is a requirement to attend mediation before commencing Court proceedings.  It can also be a more cost effective and less stressful way to discuss issues about the care of children or a property settlement.

Mediation can be organised privately or through Legal Aid NSW, and is undertaken in a variety of ways.  In most cases you will be provided with a Certificate at the end of mediation which allows you to commence Court proceedings if necessary.

contravention and enforcement

Once a Court order or parenting plan is made it is the intention that the arrangements or requirements will be followed.  Sometimes this does not happen and you will need to enforce an order or agreement.

Depending on the age of the orders and when you last attended mediation, you can apply to the Court when someone does not follow an order.  The Court has various powers to change orders and impose punishments on people who do not follow orders without a good a reason.


Applying for a divorce is a fairly simple process, and the only general requirements are that you have been separated for more than a year and that you do not intend to live together as husband and wife again in the future.

The Court sometimes prefers that the care arrangements for any children and the division of property has been finalised before a divorce is granted, so it is best that these arrangements are settled prior to applying for a divorce.

parenting orders

We understand the breakdown of a relationship can be an extremely challenging and stressful time.  This change often requires people to make important and sometimes difficult decisions about the care arrangements for children.

We specialise in family law matters relating to the care of children and are committed to try and resolve disputes without the need to go to Court. If this is not possible, we have extensive experience in the Federal Circuit Court and Family Court and are able to represent you through to the end of your matter.

property settlement

When people separate they often have to decide how their property, assets and debts will be distributed so that it is fair on everyone.  Sometimes this is easier said than done.

We guide you through the process of establishing the various financial and non-financial contributions made throughout the relationship, as well as all the other factors which are considered when negotiating a property settlement.

If negotiations and mediation are unsuccessful, we are able to represent you in Court to obtain the best outcome possible.


We Can Also Help With


If you're buying or selling a home or block of land we can assist you throughout this process.  We liaise with your bank and the real estate agent to make your purchase or sale as smooth and stress-free as possible.

We offer fixed fee conveyancing (excluding disbursements) so you can effectively manage your budget.

Power of attorney and enduring guardianship

Whether you're going overseas or making plans for the future, we can help you draft a Power of Attorney or Enduring Guardianship so you have piece of mind that your health and financial needs are secure.


If you need to make a Will or vary an existing one, we are able to assist you so that your friends and family are provided for after your passing.

We offer flat fees and are able to securely store your Will for ultimate piece of mind.



Let's Chat.

Use the form below to contact us regarding your legal enquiry. Please be as detailed as possible. To help us best service your enquiry, we recommend that you first describe the issue you’re having before telling us what you want to achieve. You may also email or call us to make an appointment.

Name *
Please do not include confidential or sensitive information in your message. In the event that we are representing a party with opposing interests to your own, we may have a duty to disclose any information you provide to our client.